Heart & Soul Apothecary Blog
Best List of Essential Oils for Colds and Flu Help Shorten Length of Time Being Sick 0
Want to shorten that cold you just got?
How about making sure it doesn't spread from one person to another under the same household?
No one likes being sick. How is it that some people seem to never get colds or flu while others are constantly sick? Well first of all, one's defense systems and levels of immunity are strong factors, but even the best of us with vigorous health can get the flu.
That's what happened to me on Christmas day this year. I've been under great pressure running the shop and in producing the products, getting online orders out while having big changes in my life which helped lead my immune system to be overly stressed, hence weakening my defense systems in preventing colds as I saw a lot of people in my shop just before the holidays.
As this is the first bad cold I have gotten in over three years since working with essential oils, I took it as a sign of much needed rest (I haven't had a vacation in over 8 years). So off to my own supply of essential oils to help lessen the length of my cold as well as the severity.
Below lists some of my most favorite essential oil combos that are my go to's helping to shorten the length of one's cold or flu.
Essential Oil Blends That Are Perfect For Your Diffusers When You Have a Cold or Flu:
Thieves Blend (Eucalyptus, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus & Rosemary)
These help to disinfect the air.
- Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Sage & Lemon This powerful combination is quite opening to the lungs while supporting immunity. Eucalyptus is known to help loosen mucus in the lungs. Sage is also a great expectorant. Lemon helps to treat infections to the throat while peppermint helps to reduce pain associated with cough while helping with nausea systems, dry cough and is cooling for fevers.
- Thyme, Rosemary, Cypress & Myrrh Here's another super combo that helps to soothe the side effects of one's flus and colds. Thyme is super fabulous due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties plus it helps in relieving those coughing spasms. Rosemary is long known for its supporting lung health. It's also aids in removing toxins from your body as it's a depurative while also supporting your immune health as it is also an immuno-modulating essential oil which helps to stimulate your immune system positively to fight off infections. Cypress has been said to keep fluids in the lungs from accumulating while it's also aids in toxins build up while supporting lung health. Myrrh is yet another over-all super super powerhouse essential oil as it's an expectorant while being an antimicrobial immunity booster.
Create Your Own All Natural Balm for Cold & Flu Relief:
Making your own balms and salves are super easy. This is also a great way to apply essential oil to your body.
- Grab four tablespoons of coconut oil and place in a bowl.
- You may soften the coconut oil in a clean microwave for five or ten seconds on low.
- Add 2 to 3 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus, rosemary, lavender essential oils. Stir till well combined.
- Then place mixture into a small sealable jar such as a clean baby food jar. Next let harden back up or start to use right away. Keep covered in fridge for safe keeping.
- Apply a small amount to the bottoms of your feet, on your back covering where your lungs are located, and on your chest. You can even place a little just under your nose. This will make breathing easier while helping shorten the length of your cold and its' related symptoms.
Good to note that if you have my Running Feather Balm - use this as well, since it contains Black Pepper, Lavender and other inflammatory essential oils that will help with breathing and supporting your immune system.
Here is a List of Foods to Avoid During Colds & Flu Due to their Supporting Mucous Creation... Yea Yuck!
– Dairy products (yogurt, milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, ice cream, butter, ghee)
– All corn products
– Sugary treats (cookies, cake, pies, pastries)
– Wheat (bread, pretzels, buns, bagels, muffins, etc.)
– Deep fried foods
– All soy products
– Safflower/sunflower oil
– Jams and jellies
– High-fat red meat
Please Read more at http://livelovefruit.com/foods-that-cause-excessive-mucus/#P65U7bvEXdJh8cMz.99
This link above also has a nice list of foods to eat that help reduce mucus too including a Mucus Cleansing Smoothie Recipe ! Just what the new year ordered!
The list of foods to avoid mentioned above is an excerpt of a super fab article written by Carly Fraser of http://livelovefruit.com. I highly recommend checking out her website and article - there's a lot of very useful information and great stuff!
Foods to eat in supporting relief of your colds and flu:
- All Fresh Herbs, especially Rosemary, Thyme & Chives/Scallions, Peppermint
- Ginger, Onions, Garlic
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper (supports lung function and reducing inflammation.)
- Broccoli, Sweet Potato & Leafy Vegetables
- Apple Cider Vinegar (In salad dressings & drinks)
- Rescue Me Tea & Hot Herbal Teas that include ginger and peppermint.
So Get Your Rest, Drink Your Fluids and Start to Feel Better Super Soon.
Contest Giveaway For Using Our Spices & Herbs 0
Since it's the season to start cooking inside again, we thought to help inspire you and your cooking creations by giving away a $50 gift certificate to our shop. Woot woot!
Want to learn how to win this serious fun gift certificate? It's super easy peasy!
There are but a few rules:
- Take a photograph of one of your food dishes made with our spices, herbs or spice blends - extra credit for showing the spice bottle next to your dish...
- Then share your photograph on social media: Facebook, Instagram and/or Twitter.
- Last step is to make sure you 'tag' us with either hashtag #NYHeartnSoulCooks or tag us with our handle name: NYHeartnSoul.
Contest ends at Midnight on Sunday November 13th and the winner will be announced on Monday November 14th. We will contact the winner and provide the winner with the details on how to receive their Heart & Soul Apothecary Gift Certificate.
Winner must follow all rules, and gift certificate must be used within 30 days of winning.
So Have fun cooking! We can't wait to see what you cook this week!
XO The Chef Maven
The Real Magic of Homemade Mushroom Soup 0
I grabbed the mushrooms, green pepper and red onion and went to make a very good bowl in 25 minutes max - all in one pan. It was delicious! I also learned these fun-filled facts about the health benefits of Mushrooms.
Here's just one great recipe I came up with today that warmed me up to my bones.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
From my kitchen to yours
by The Chef Maven
August News 0Hoping you are following our growing journey on our Instagram feed, as we're are growing and upgrading our online catalog and shop!
We have new 'Heart and Soulers' - aka staff members you should come in and meet.
There's Sara our in-house yoga and Ayurveda practitioner, Zanyell who helps out on Friday's and Saturdays in the shop and Tanya, our new office manager. We also have a new member on our production team Robin.
So stop by our shop and say hello to our newest staff members!
Look what's #new !!!! 👀 We just created a whole new line of #ayurveda #essentialoilblends - now how cool is this?! We actually made a total of 12 #newproducts today with your #health in mind to help #balance each #dosha - and they are amazing! This is just a sneak peak! There's even a #rockstar #facial #aromatherapy #bodyspray to help with #stagefright or #nervousness! You know the #musician in your life needs this! ( 💋 Leah ) A huge thank you goes out to Sara Hart @theihartlens who will be taking our latest products on a #rocktour in just weeks! Rock on! We only use #organicingredients from #mountainroseherbs for all our products raw goods. #apothecary #herbalshop #chineseherbs #herbology #organicspices #beacon #hudsonvalley #makersgonnamake #smallbatch #handcrafted #organichealth @mountainroseherbs #yoga #yogaproducts #
Sara will return in August, after being on tour with the band Brand New where she took over 30 of our products: teas, spices, balms and the like, to help the band relax and be refreshed in between shows. We are eager to learn how was her experience! <3
On August 21st and 22nd, we will be having a show at the 47th Annual Arts & Crafts Fair at Garrison Landing at the Garrison Art Center in NY. We are currently working really hard in preparing for this show while having longer shop hours for those who adore visiting our shop in Beacon.
You can always shop online, but we know, there is something special about walking into our shop and smelling all the lovely essences. We get it, believe you me!
This makes us happy! Ready to decant our latest batch of #organic #calendula #herbaloil for use in our skin balms like #wondersalve & our #booboobalm Among our many other #apothecary goods we create. _____________________ #beacon #maker #herbalife #healingherbs #herbsthatheal #therealdeal #herbalist #hudsonvalley #madeinusa #gmofree #shoporganic A photo posted by Heart & Soul Apothecary (@nyheartnsoul) on
In September, we will bring back our workshops, so you can always sign up for our newsletters to stay up to date! We are also bringing back our weekend walk-in special DIY events: come in anytime to create your own set of earrings and necklaces using our curated beads and findings.
Our new shop hours are:
Tuesday Closed for Production
We are normally local on Tuesday, so if you are ever in a pinch, you can privately facebook message us to reach Leah and our other staff members, so that we may assist you.
In preparing for our show in August, you may find some of our shop hours might change on a whim's notice. We do apologize!
So please keep watching our feed on Instagram and our Facebook page for the latest shop hours for that day!
As always, Namaste & Peace... XO Leah
- Leah Quinn